When the Army and the armed forces are being really hacked in the public domain we wanted to bring something out which we didn’t know about our Army.
It was on January 15, 1949, Lieutenant General K. M. Cariappa took over from General Sir Francis Butcher, thus becoming the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army.
Lets look at 10 facts about Indian army which are surprising and not that well known.
1. Indian Military holds the credit of accepting the largest ever military surrender in the world
This happened in 1971 when 93,000 Pakistani soldiers surrendered to Indian Army
2. Adolf Hitler wanted to acquire Gurkha regiment of Indian Army
He believed that he could have acquired the whole of Europe with their help as it was one force that could fight and withstand a German attack
3. Indian Army trains foreign armies like those from US , UK and Russia
Now how many of you know this. These trainings are done in Indian Army’s training institutes . Bharatiya Military Academy at Dehradun and Counter -Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School in Mizoram
4. The Siachen Glacier, 5000 metres above sea level, is the highest battlefield in the world. And the Indian Army controls it.
5.The Indian Army has a cavalry regiment. There are only 3 such regiments in the world.
6. Indian Army is the largest volunteer force in the entire world.
This simply means that Indian Army consists of the largest number of willing soldiers in the entire world. Indian Constitution actually has the option of military conscription but never needed to implement it.
7.World’s highest bridge is actually built by Indian Army
The Bailey Bridge – world’s highest bridge is actually built by Indian Army. It is located between the Suru and Dras rivers in Ladakh Valley in Himalayan Mountains. The bridge was built back in 1982.
8.The President’s bodyguard is the oldest armoured regiment of the Indian Army.
It was established in 1773, and is currently based in the Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
9. In Indian Army there is no provision of recruitment based on religion, caste or creed. Its only based on merit and fitness
10. The oldest Paramilitary force of Indian Armed forces is Assam Rifles That Was Formed in 1835